I am chuffed to have been nominated by the bare foot homeschooling mom for the Sunshine Bloggers award.
This award is given to bloggers by bloggers and is all about bringing light and creativity to the blogging world.
There are a few rules for the Sunshine Bloggers award:
*Thank the blogger who nominated you in your blog post and link back to his/her blog.
* Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
* Nominate 11 new bloggers to receive the award and write them 11 questions.
* List these rules and display the sunshine blogger award logo in your post and on your blog.
So the questions I was asked?
1. What made you choose to homeschool your children?
After mass failings from the school that my eldest son was attending to acknowledge and deal with bullying I felt we had no choice. I witnessed him getting assaulted and the school staff including the head teacher doing nothing. At the same time my daughter was struggling with her mental health and I had just had a baby who was receiving a lot of hospital treatment. So it fitted our family.
As we have grown as a family we have seen children (ours and many others) thrive in home education. Whilst at the same time we have seen endless damage caused by the mainstream school system. Having become aware of so many failings nationwide within the system we made the decision that we would not even try the younger ones in school.
2. How long have you been homeschooling?
I deregistered the older children just over 5 yrs ago now. It was in July 2014.
3. How many children do you have and how old are they?
I have 4 children aged 2, 5, 14 and 17 yrs. I also have another super star living with us who is 16, she moved in with us in January.
4. What is your favorite thing about homeschooling?
The freedom that it allows us as a family to meet all of our needs. I love that I have been able to see my children thrive. I love that we can take our time and observe nature, follow their passions and that I get to see that spark when they grasp something. Oh, and term time holidays and day trips.
5. What is your favorite subject? What about your least favorite subject?
We don’t do subjects as such. We link everything together. But I think if I have to pick a favourite it would be history.
6. Where was the last homeschool field trip your family went on?
Today we paid a visit to Wrest park to learn about Victorian crime and punishment.
As a family we did a big field trip to the isle of wight and to the Portsmouth historic dockyard in May.
7. Do your kids take any classes or lessons outside the home?
They attend science lessons at Airbus and attended weekly home ed sessions run by Youth Connexions.
8. What is your favorite read aloud book?
Wow, tough one. Favourite is possibly The Gruffalo. Though I love reading and we read all sorts. Julia Donaldsons rhyming is lovely to enjoy.
9. What made you decide to start blogging?
I wanted to keep track of what I was doing, I also get asked lots of questions. As well as that I find it helps me to get my thoughts out in writing.
10. How do you incorporate P.E. into your homeschool weeks?
The children are always mobile. Swimming, walking the dog, climbing trees, playing in the park, trampolining with friends, cycling, scooting etc… previously they have had skiing, paddleboarding and kayaking lessons.
11. What is one piece of advice you would give to new homeschooling families?
Trust yourself, trust your children and remember that no one approach suits everyone or has to be permanent. Some people fluctuate between structure and unschooling as their child’s needs fluctuate. That’s fine. Find what works for you and let it flow without comparing yourself to others.
11 blogs I would like to nominate and really recommend you pay a visit to:
11 questions I want to ask?
1) Why diď you start blogging?
2) Where is your favourite place in the world and why?
3) If you could sit on a bench and have a conversation with any celebrity (dead or alive)who would it be and what would you ask?
4) What inspires you?
5) What is happiness to you?
6) What animal would you most love to see in the wild?
7) If you won £10k what is the first thing you would buy/pay for?
8) If you could travel anywhere, where would you most like to visit?
9) What is at the top of your bucket list?
10) What do you feel is your biggest achievement?
11) Does ketchup go in the cupboard or in the fridge?